Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Ideas


The history of print is a topic I considered - I really enjoy letterpress and screenprinting and I already have an old typewriter and the word processor. I've always been fascinated with the process involved and the imperfect outcomes you get.
I thought about how typewriters differ from computers today and the way they have evolved. Essentially computers are there to speed up process - and in doing so your work is editable and you are able to change things before you print. The main purpose of technology is speeding things up and improving and perfecting and standardising. I looked at Moore's law to research this further - his theory is that the speed, memory and capacity of computer technology doubles every two years, and the theory has not been proven wrong so far. I like the idea of speeding things up but keeping the quality you get from writing on paper, the individuality and making mistakes perhaps. So I thought I would design my own typeface based on my handwriting, using Fontlab. It didnt really work out well, so it was abandoned but I will come back to it at some point.

No comments: