Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Jarry project




Here are some items I have found in the research process of this project. The absinthe is a key point to look at because Jarry drank copious amounts of it. Through my research I have come to the conclusion that the state of mind you are in when having drunk a lot of absinthe is not dissimilar to that of the state of mind of 'pataphysics. A kind of spiritual freedom - a detachment from one's self. I think that this is a refreshing find, as it enables me to comprehend the mindset of Jarry and the mentality behind his work.
You may be thinking that I have just gone and got pissed but that is actually not the case - I have only tried absinthe once.
I have also found that Jarry was horrified by the idea of physical existence, which explains his theatrical personality, his constant facade, his consumption of alcohol, and the way he lived in general. Jarry was very much caught up in his imaginary world, which comes into being in his plays and various works.
The other image here is the character King Ubu, which Jarry actually created from a woodcut he did. King Ubu epitomises all that is ugly and mediocre in the world. He has a spiral on his belly, which is now the symbol of the College of Pataphysics. It signifies a movement outwards, which is potentially infinite in it's expansion.

No comments: