Thursday, November 8, 2007

New project: Biographies

The name I have been given for this project is Alfred Jarry. I had not heard of him before, so the first thing I did was to look him up on Wikipedia. I was expecting to be able to access some pictures from this page, as I enjoy looking at images to give me ideas prior to reading up on something. However there were none, so I read the wikipedia article. Content that I had consumed a nicely sized summary of who Jarry was, I went to check my emails, and found that I had recieved mail in my designers are wankers account. Went to look at that and found an invitation to an exhibition by Fiona Gall called the Emerald Faerie. The emerald faerie is locked in a bottle of absinthe. Gall bases her light installations and 3d light pieces on her experience of absinthe - just as Jarry was influenced (and under the influence)by absinthe when he wrote his plays and thought up his theories. Jarry called absinthe the 'green goddess'. It is likely that his love of absinthe and drugs killed him. I thought this would be a great start to my research, and to compare his work to that of the present day will give a different perspective to my outcome.
Here's the link to designers are wankers:
http://www.designersarewankers.com/profiles/profile.jsp?profile_id=5374

No comments: